The Victorian Local Government (LG) Bill 2018 will introduce a new, contemporary framework to support Victoria’s councils and the communities they serve.
The new changes include to the LG Act 1989 will include:
- improving service delivery, focusing on better financial management and engaging community in council decision making
- Enabling strong local democracy with direct accountability to the community
- Improving council conduct with clearer standards of behavior and stronger misconduct management mechanisms
- Increasing community confidence by making reforms to election processes and candidate requirements
- Building a new relationship between state and local government, and the community.